As most of you are aware by now, Sundance 2019 will be premiering a hit piece directed by Dan Reed and sponsored by HBO and UK Channel 4, a four-hour sobfest in which the same two scam artists who recently had their cases against Michael Jackson’s estate and companies thrown out of court-Wade Robson and Jimmy Safechuck-will claim that they were molested. While trash stories about Michael Jackson have come and gone in the last ten years (most notably since Robson’s sudden about face in 2012) the understandable concern now, both within the fan community and for those who care about justice, is that in this era where the lynch mob mentality of #MeToo and the “Cancel Culture” it has helped spawn is drowning out all voices of reason or due process, this could be one injustice against the name Michael Jackson too many. It is long overdue for this kind of endless defamation to end. I have a post in the works that will analyze the full extent of Michael Jackson’s legacy in the MeToo era. As always, we must keep uppermost in mind four crucial differences between Jackson’s “case” and that of other celebrities who have fallen under the scrutiny of MeToo, namely:
- That Michael Jackson, unlike many of these other celebrities, had his full day in court over a decade ago (and to that we must add that this was a court case that put his entire life under intense scrutiny, as it didn’t become “just” about the Arvizo case, but every friendship with every child he had ever known!)
- There has never been one bit of actual inculpatory evidence presented against him, even after one of most thorough prosecution investigations on record. In every single instance, it has come down to an accuser’s word against Jackson’s. And now he is not here to defend against such accusations, making these actions all the more reprehensible.
- A decade long investigation by the FBI yielded nothing!
- The role of race, Hollywood double standards, and how Michael Jackson was used as a scapegoat within the industry to divert attention from the crimes of others (namely one Harvey Weinstein!)
- That these allegations have been led by a man who endlessly sang Jackson’s praises as a mentor and guiding light of his life-until he was fired from a prestigious gig directing the Michael Jackson Circus du Soleil show, a loss that cost him millions.
In the meantime, though, please work to voice your disapproval!
Contact info for Sundance, HBO, Channel4 and Sundance sponsors:
5900 Wilshire Blvd. Suite 800
Los Angeles, CA 90036
1825 Three Kings Dr.
Park City, UT 84060
Utah Mailing Address
P.O. Box 684429
Park City, UT 84068
New York Office
321 W 44th Street, Suite 805
New York, New York 10036
0345 076 0191
Channel 4 Enquiries, PO Box 1058, Belfast BT1 9DU.
2019 Sundance Film Festival Supporters
Festival Host State